Fine Arts | Language Arts | Math | Social Studies | MTSS | Science | Physical Education |
District 89 believes Fine Arts experiences are vital to educating the whole child and help prepare our students for success in college and careers. As students engage in sequential, meaningful learning experiences through the artistic process, they develop critical thinking, creativity, collaboration and communication skills.
Students develop creative thinking and self-expression through the use of various mediums and techniques including painting, drawing, sculpting, fiber arts, printmaking, and more.
- Grades K-2: Students develop fine motor skills and create projects to learn the basic elements of Art.
- Grades 3-5: Students continue to refine their skills and investigate new mediums.
- Grades 6-8: Students view Art through multiple perspectives and are encouraged to think independently and to express their views and opinions through their artwork.
Students explore the artistic process of creating, performing, refining and responding to music. Music experiences include singing, dancing, composing, improvising, and performing music from a wide range of styles.
- Grades K-2: Students sing, dance, and play the xylophone and various rhythm instruments.
- Grades 3-5: Students learn to sing and play the ukulele, hand drums and piano.
- Grades 6-8: Students learn musical notation, play keyboards and guitars, and use technology to compose and produce their own musical scores.
Band and Orchestra
Students in grades 3-8 have the opportunity to join the District 89 Orchestra. Students may choose to play the violin, viola, cello or bass.
In grades 4-8, students have the opportunity to join the District 89 Concert Band where they can play flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, French horn, trombone, baritone or percussion.
All Band and Orchestra students receive a weekly lesson during the school day and rehearse with their grade-level orchestra before or after school weekly. Band and Orchestra perform in annual concerts, as well as other occasions.
Students in grades 6-8 engage in the Dramatic Arts, both through Encore classes and through extra-curricular participation in plays. Each spring, middle school students collaborate on a district-wide musical production where they show case talent in acting, dancing, singing, costuming, and set design.