School District 89 implements a rigorous English Language Arts curriculum in grades. As a part of our curriculum; students read texts at increasing levels of complexity for a variety of purposes, write in response to text, use critical listening and viewing skills and speak effectively in multiple settings. Our curriculum is aligned to Common Core State Standards. The Common Core State Standards are rigorous and raise the expectations of our student’s performance.
District Worthy Target ELA
On the Student Growth Summary Report in MAP, from spring to spring (cohort), the achievement status percentile for students 6-8 will grow 5% annually for the next three years.
Teachers in District 89 utilize a Balanced Literacy approach that promotes a gradual release of responsibility. This approach provides a framework for reading instruction that encourages teacher-led, guided, and independent practice to increase student engagement and achievement.
- Setting clear expectations
- Guided exploration and text analysis
- Developing insight through comparing texts
- Demonstrating independence through independent application and independent reading
Teachers in District 89 strive to utilize a variety of assessments that are used to evaluate students’ progress toward the Common Core Learning Standards. They include assessments in Reading and Writing. These assessments provide important information that contribute to decisions concerning our students and their academic progress.
As a part of our English Language Arts Curriculum we administer the following assessments:
- Beginning of the Year Assessments that assess students’ familiarity with grade level skills and standards.
- Benchmark Assessments that assess skills taught within the unit, including reading, writing, vocabulary and grammar.
- Writing Assessments are formative assessments that help monitor student progress and guide teacher
- Common Core State Standards
- Pearson Common Core Literature Online
- Wonders/Maravillas Resources Online
- Lexia Learning (K-5)
- Compass Learning (6-8)
- RAZ Kids